Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Off the target: Annual as well as monthly

Yesterday I was unwell and had to take an off from office. Being alone in house and ill, is depressing and gets you to so many doubts.

First and foremost doubt that I get at such times what if from this point onwards, I’ll never be able to go to my work ever? I’ll have no regular source of income and how will I cope with all the things. This is what uncertainty does to you and these are the best times when you should motivate yourself to save for your retirement. No one knows what’s going to happen tomorrow, so the best we can do is to save for our future and keep our calm in tough times.

Motivated by all this, I reviewed my annual budget / expenditure book for 2008 and found that I am on a very tight line, little below then what I wanted to save and it seems this year I’ll certainly short my target :(. This is bad news for sure.

And the second depressing thought that generally comes at that time is monthly budget. These additional medical expenses leave a big dent on your monthly budget and it gets awry. What helps at that time is the some cushion that you initially incorporated in your budget and some cash that you saved in the mean time in the month.

Do read Add Grace to Your Budget on same topic, my favorite blogger talked about same thing few days back. Thanks Rachel, your words helped me keep my cool at the time, when needless to say, I am tight on my monthly budget.

3 comments:

  1. You know, that's one of the worst places to be, unable to work (or, in our case, unable to collect a check) and watching your resources slowly draining. As someone who is there and feels your pain, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    I don't know how things are in India, but here in the states freebies can be found, it just takes some time to suss them out. Do you have a network of friends, anyone else in your situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you emily. But fortunately, I recovered in a day itself and with some painkillers, was able to go to Office. Thanks for the wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you were able to return to work quickly. It's hard to deal with uncertainty, but you have good sense to know how to plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete